This unit is designed to introduce students to the legal system, business and corporations law and related matters. It is important for all professionals to have an appreciation of the role played by law in regulating society and the business community.
This unit seeks to provide students with an understanding and knowledge of the legal system and sources of law in Australia. The unit examines the common law and statutory principles relating to the commercial environment and corporate governance. The unit combines elements of essential business law including key features of contract and other relevant areas of law.
This unit also examines essential elements of corporations law including, the concept of separate legal entity, company formation and operation as well as corporate governance. This will include a study of the law relating to directors and management, members’ rights and winding up of a company.
Overall, the unit provides the opportunity to research and analyse relevant legislation and case law and critically examine the role played by law in modern society.
Upon completing this subject, students will have achieved the following goals:
- demonstrate an understanding and evaluate the different legal issues arising in the business environment
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the main common law and statutory provisions which apply to institutions, personnel and commercial transactions in the Australia context
- demonstrate skills in legal research, critical analysis and the written presentation of research and argument.
- explain the benefits of ethics within the context of corporate and business law
- explain and reflect on the legal principles relating to commercial transactions, corporations and other forms of business organisations
- demonstrate an understanding of the underlying themes and issues and the key legal principles relating to commercial transactions, and/or corporate law
- demonstrate the capacity to apply legal reasoning and research to generate appropriate responses to legal problems in the corporate governance contexts
- identify and comment on the policy issues which arise in various topics, including the need for law reform where the law is considered deficient.
What You Get:
- Hours of interactive videos.
- Applied industry knowledge.
- 1-year full access to the course.
- Access on your phone or desktop computer.
- Certificate of completion at the end of the course.